Texas By Train
Want to go somewhere in Texas by train?
Traveling by train is an excellent alternative to driving or flying. Here are some great ways to both see Texas and travel to other parts of the country by rail!
Daily service originating in Chicago & San Antonio. Tri-weekly service San Antonio to Los Angeles as the Texas Eagle connects with the Sunset Limited at the Alamo city three days a week. Daily Texas Eagle service includes to/from Bloomington/Normal, Ill; Springfield, Ill; St. Louis and Little Rock, AR.
Texas cities served include Texarkana, Marshall, Longview, Mineola, Dallas, Fort Worth, Cleburne, McGregor (Waco), Temple, Taylor, Austin, San Marcos, San Antonio.
Note: Amtrak no longer publishes printed timetables so download this timetable for your next trip!
Daily service Fort Worth to Oklahoma City. Cities served
include Fort Worth, Gainesville, Ardmore, Pauls Valley,
Purcell, Norman and Oklahoma City. Note: Amtrak no longer publishes printed timetables so download this timetable for your next trip!
Tri-weekly service originating in New Orleans & Los Angeles.
Cities served include Beaumont, Houston, San Antonio, Del Rio,
Sanderson, Alpine and El Paso. Note: Amtrak no longer publishes printed timetables so download this timetable for your next trip!
Book all the above trips through Amtrak.com or through the Amtrak app.
Those are your current choices for intercity travel.
Want more? Tell your elected officials here
Texas Rail Maps
Austin Western Railroad (Central Texas)
BNSF Railway Maps
Fort Worth & Western Railroad
KCS Railway Map
Texas-Pacifico / South Orient Railroad (TxDOT)
Texas State Railroad Map (2012 – Texas Department of Transportation)
Union Pacific Maps
Intercity Passenger Rail
Amtrak Texas/Oklahoma Services
Heartland Flyer (ODOT/TXDOT Partnered Service)
National Passenger Rail Service
TXDOT / TTI Maps
Texas Freight Density Map 2010 – Texas Department of Transportation
Texas Rail Map 2012 – Texas Department of Transportation
Texas A&M Transportation Institute – City Pairs Ranking Map
Urban / Regional Passenger Rail Maps
Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
Denton County Transportation Authority (DCTA) – The A Train
Trinity Railway Express (Dallas-Fort Worth) TRE
TEXRail – Fort Worth to DFW Airport
Cities / Towns Served
(Amtrak Interstate, Regional, Commuter and Light Rail Services)
Alpine – Austin – Beaumont – Carrollton – Cleburne – Dallas – Del Rio – Denton – El Paso – Farmers Branch – Fort Hood* – Fort Worth – Gainesville – Galveston* – Grapevine – Highland Village – Houston – Hurst – Irving – Leander – Lewisville – Longview – Marshall – McGregor (Waco) – Mineola – Nacogdoches* – North Richland Hills – Plano – Richardson – Richland Hills – San Antonio – Sanderson – San Marcos – Shreveport* – Taylor – Temple – Texarkana
*Connecting Amtrak Thruway Bus
Flatonia (for Victoria) – this city has requested an Amtrak stop but has not yet been approved
Urban, Regional and Corridor Rail Service
Where did trains take you in Texas in the past?
From November 1962 Official Railway Guide:
- Santa Fe #15 & #16: Galveston to Chicago serving Houston, Temple, Fort Worth, Dallas, White Rock, Krum, Denton, Gainesville
- Santa Fe #12/77 & #11/78: Chicago to San Angelo serving Gainesville, Fort Worth, Dallas, Brownwood, Coleman, Ballinger
- Santa Fe #66/75 & 76/65: San Francisco to Houston serving Lubbock, Slaton, Sweetwater, Brownwood, Goldthwaite, Lometa, Lampassas, Fort Worth, Dallas, Temple
- Santa Fe (2 daily trains) #1/3 & #2/4: Chicago to San Francisco serving Canadian, Miami, Pampa, Amarillo, Canyon, Hereford, Texico
- Santa Fe #13 & 14: Albuquerque to El Paso
- Santa Fe #93 & #94: Amarillo to Lubbock serving Canyon, Happy, Hale Center, Plainview
- Southern Pacific #1 & 2: Los Angeles to New Orleans serving Orange, Beaumont, Dayton, Houston, Sugar Land, Rosenberg, Schulenberg, Seguin, San Antonio, Uvalde, Del Rio, Sanderson, Alpine, Marfa, El Paso
- Southern Pacific # 5 & #6: From New Orleans to Houston serving Orange, Beaumont, Rome, Liberty, Dayton
- Rock Island (2 daily trains) #21 / #23 & #22 / #26: From Memphis to California serving Shamrock, McLean, Groom, Conway, Amarillo
- Rock Island (2 daily trains) #15/#16 & # 17 / #18: From Minneapolis to Houston serving Bowie, Bridgeport, Saginaw, Fort Worth, Dallas, Waxahachie, Corsicana, Teague
- KATY (2 daily trains) #1 & #2 / #5 & #6: Kansas City to San Antonio serving Denison, Whitewright, Greenville, Garland, Highland Park, Dallas, Waxahachie, Hillsboro, Waco, Temple, Georgetown, Austin, San Marcos, New Braunfels
- Kansas City Southern #1 / 2 & #15 / #16: Kansas City to New Orleans serving Texarkana, Beaumont, Port Arthur
- Missouri Pacific #1 & #2: St Louis to Houston and Mexico City serving Texarkana, Longview, Kilgore, Troup, Jacksonville, Palestine, Hearne, Rockdale, Taylor, Austin, San Marcos, New Braunfels, San Antonio, Devine, Dilley, Cotulla, Laredo, Trinity, Phelps, Conroe
- Missouri Pacific #54 & 55: Houston to Brownsville serving Angleton, Bay City, Blessing, Vanderbilt, Placedo, Bloomington, Sinton, Robstown, Kingsville, Raymondville, Harlingen, San Benito
- Missouri Pacific (2 daily trains) #50-51 & #52-53: New Orleans to Houston serving Beaumont, Grayburg
- Texas & Pacific (3 daily trains Texarkana-Fort Worth, 2 daily trains Fort Worth-El Paso) #21-23 & #22-24, #25-27 & #26-28: New Orleans to California serving Marshall, Longview, Gladewater, Big Sandy, Mineola, Wills Point, Terrell, Dallas, Fort Worth, Weatherford, Mineral Wells, Eastland, Cisco, Abilene, Big Spring, Midland, Odessa, Monahans, Pecos, Toyah, Van Horn, Sierra Blanca, El Paso